Jennifer Daugherty

Jennifer Daugherty

Saturday, March 6, 2010

I am sitting in my women and violence class here at MCTC thinking of the ways to honor Jennifer's memory.  How to do this, without continually going over the details of her torture.  Jennifer, yes, suffered horrors that no one ever should, but I want to focus on who Jennifer was as a person, what she meant to all those who knew her, and how she affected those of us who didn't.

And...D.A. John Peck, Westmoreland County, Pa...the death penalty discussion should not even be up for debate.  4 people brutalized her before murdering her, two people watched and did nothing.

Speaking of doing nothing..how about a Good Samaratin Law, Pa?  The neighbor heard the screaming and all of the noise while Jennifer was being tormented....WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL THE POLICE?!?!  You're intervention could have saved her life..Shame on you too.

We are after all all of our brother/sister's keeper.  Rest in Peace Jen

2 comments:

  1. I guess for me, the best way to honor her is to honor those around me, let myself be involved, let myself be the voice that no one wants to hear. I just spent 16 hrs on the cell with my sister, navigating her escape from Tx and 10 yrs of an abusive relationship. She's 4 states away from this "_" and has herself surrounded with good friends. I have have been the "witch" that has been "influencing" for the last 9 yrs. It was worth it. It always surprises me at how few people will actually speak up, all on the premise that it's inappropriate to interfere. This is the third time in my life that I have been "involved" in a situation everyone wanted to ignore, it's an example I will continue to follow through with if I see the need to step up. Jennifer was in my thoughts last week, I honor her life by living mine without regret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that, I think by living your life with no regret is the best way to honor someone and by being their voice when their's has been silenced. Jennifer Daugherty has been on my mind quite a bit these past weeks. I think it's even beyond what she endured, it's that feeling of being alone and afraid. That vulnerable feeling is what I am empathizing with so much. I think that by being involved, even in the smallest way, is what will help to heal that community. Nobody will ever forget what was done to Jennifer, but perhaps, in time, that community will heal.

    ReplyDelete